Skip to main content

My Background

Now, in 2022, I'm nearly 41 years old.

 I grew up in a partly religious home. My parents often sent me with my grandparents to attend a non-denominational community church when I was a child.

As I got to being a young adult, I started considering things more seriously, and I started wondering about baptism and about communion (what Latter-day Saints call "the sacrament") and how I would know when I was supposed to participate in it.

Around that time, I became aware of friends from school who were "Mormons" (what Latter-day Saints called themselves as a nickname at the time.) The church I went to had never taught me specific negative things about Mormons, but I did have some vague idea that it was a dangerous cult that I should stay away from. That's really all I knew.

I loved my friends and I was very concerned for them, so I asked one of them about it, I got a copy of the Book of Mormon, and I started to learn about it and read about it online as well (in the very minimal form of the Internet that existed at that time.) I wanted to learn what they were wrong about, so that I could save my friends from whatever trouble they were in.

As I kept studying, my younger self started to feel like they had better answers than I had, and I converted myself in, instead of converting them out.  Oops.

I was baptized as a Latter-day Saint on January 1, 1999, when I was 18 years old.
I received my Temple Endowment on May 29, 2001 at Mt. Timpanogos, Utah.
I married in 2001, in the Salt Lake Temple.

I became a Freemason, taking the three degrees on October 22, 2002, November 27, 2002, and January 29, 2003, respectively.

Even though my first wife and I weren't getting along very well, we had a child in 2004. We got divorced a few months later.

I married again in 2005.

I started seriously studying Kabbalah, mysticism and the occult.

I became a Royal Arch Mason in 2006.

I resigned from the Church in November, 2008, for reasons which I will elaborate on another time.

I served as Worshipful Master of my Lodge, High Priest of my Royal Arch Chapter, and Illustrious Master of my Cryptic Council, all in 2009.

My second wife and I started dating a girl polyamorously in early 2011.

My wife and our girlfriend both left me in August 2011, and my wife divorced me in early 2012, I think it was January.

My deep interest in Mormon history has never gone away.

Somewhere over the last decade, as some of the pain started to become more distant, I started being able to seriously study the Bible.  I was no longer worried about what conclusions I might find in it.  I realized that I no longer had any particular dog in the fight.

It's time. Let's talk about some of this stuff.

I am Jeff Day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theological Drift

Perhaps the biggest issue that puzzled me while I was in the Church was related to what I would term theological drift. I don't believe in these scriptures or this set of Theology any more, but let me give an overview of what it was, and what the Scriptures actually say.  Finding contradictions allows us to illumine or minds with light, dispelling shadows of error, and is an important tool to hone our grasp on the truth of things.  I don't think it is a waste of time to study these things, even today, in order to exercise critical thinking skills and learn to identify errors. The Drifting Ideas of Mormon Theology Period I: Trinity & Modalism Joseph Smith started out teaching a Trinitarian version of God which was expressed with Modalist tendencies - in other words, holding very common views for people in his place and time. This is the Theology of the first edition of the Book of Mormon.  At this point in Mormon Theology, the LORD God (Jehovah Elohim) of the Old Testament i

Studying 1 Nephi, Chapter 4

Perhaps the most serious ethical dilemma presented in the Book of Mormon. Its similarities with Masonic Degrees are also examined.  CHAPTER 4 A ND it came to pass that I spake unto my brethren, saying: Let us go up again unto Jerusalem, and let us be faithful in keeping the commandments of the L ORD ; for behold he is mightier than all the earth, then why not mightier than Laban and his fifty, yea, or even than his tens of thousands? 2 Therefore let us go up; let us be strong like unto Moses; for he truly spake unto the waters of the Red Sea and they divided hither and thither, and our fathers came through, out of captivity, on dry ground, and the armies of Pharaoh did follow and were drowned in the waters of the Red Sea. The similarity being drawn between Nephi and Moses, which was subtext in the previous Chapter, is now explicitly pointed out in the text. 3 Now behold ye know that this is true; and ye also know